Tuesday 13 October 2009

New Artwork...



I have been writing that I have started on a new series of paintings, and here is the 1st finished one.  I have always been disatisfied with the process of going out drawing & then making a painting in the studio,  so,  I have taken to going out and drawing straight onto the canvas.  Duh!  I find it a much better way of working for me. 

I treat the whole process as part of my spiritual practice,  and so it is an extension of meditation/prayer/journeying/dreaming  to go out on the land here & ask the Spirits of the Place for the next painting.  Thats what they have invited me to do.  This way I stop in unexpected places , where I feel 'called' to,  & draw the multiplicity of extraordinary shapes I see around me. leaves, shoots, branches, seeds...   its endless.  It becomes an abstract drawing,  but each element is something I have observed on the fields here.

The rest of the process happens in the studio,  where I decide on a pallette of colour, & how it can best bring the painting to life.  This too is an endless dance,  each colour added affecting all the rest,  the balance of the picture.  And this too is working with the Spirits,  the 'unseen' world,  especially when unexpected combinations suggest themselves...   an excercise in trust again.
Its a scary, joyful,  very time-consuming way of working..   and I wouldnt want to be without it..
  

No comments:

Post a Comment